Mr. T’s Birth Story

Since Mr. T is almost 2 years old, it’s probably high time I shared his birth story.

The pregnancy certainly got off to a rocky start and although I felt much better going into the 2nd trimester; it was definitely a slow recovery.


Thaddeus' birth story


My original due date was November 30th, but one evening in September that all changed.

I went through my normal bedtime routine and attempted to lay down. And that’s when intense contractions started.  They lasted for one hour, my stomach was hard as a rock and although I didn’t know what was wrong; I knew something was wrong.

My husband and I determined that we needed to head to the ER immediately and we both dressed quickly and called the triage nurse en route.

After being poked, examined and entered into the hospital system (yes, in that order), it was determined that my water had ruptured!

And I was only 29 weeks pregnant.

Now, I’ve birthed several babies; but my cluelessness about what exactly a bag of ruptured water meant for me was pretty evident in the exchange I had with the doctor that delivered the news.

Doctor: “It has been determined that your membranes have ruptured, meaning your water has broken.”

Me: “Oh, okay.”

Doctor: “So what this means is that you can’t leave the hospital until you have your baby because the risk of infection is high once the membranes have ruptured.”

Me: “I beg your pardon?” “So I have to stay here until I give birth?”

Doctor: “That’s correct.”

Over the next several days a series of protocol treatments were administered to me to stop labor, prevent baby brain bleeds & help Mr. T’s underdeveloped lungs.

And I was delving head first into learning about premature labor, and preemies. And being visited by specialists who would be part of the birth team.

Clinically, the physicians told me they would like labor to be held off for at least 4 weeks.

And I almost laughed out loud!

There was no way that my body (birth center of 7 babies up to that point) was going to hold this baby for 4 more weeks.  I might not have a degree, but I knew my body & I conveyed that to the team.

So, it was no surprise that five days later, our little guy was born! Weighing in at 3 pounds 6 ounces and successfully breathing on his own.

This was a pretty big deal for a baby born 10 weeks early….he never needed to be put on oxygen, and for that we praise the Lord!

So, you might be wondering how I was doing emotionally.

Quite honestly, I had a lot of adjusting to do.  I couldn’t nurse my baby, but I did pump milk at regular intervals & that was fed to him through a tube. And I had to get used to holding him while he was hooked up to all manner of wires and monitors.

Mr. T shortly after he was born

I stayed in the hospital for four days and Mr. T remained in the hospital for five weeks. And while he received excellent care and I had an opportunity to minister to the nurses; it was still tough to spend only 1 hour a day at the hospital and then just leave to do it all over again the next day.

That was the hardest part. But after the second week, the Lord really encouraged me in such a way that saying “hello and see you later” was no longer an emotional rollercoaster.

Leaving my baby day after day was the most emotionally taxing part of this whole journey, and an opportunity to trust the Lord.

So what about you? Have you given birth to a preemie or had a difficult birth that drew you closer to the Lord?



Get New Posts directly to Your Inbox


  1. Tiffany- our children’s birth stories truly rank among the most important and life-impacting experiences in a Momma’s life. I’m sure they are special to our Lord, too. We were (and are) so thankful for the grace that was given to the Jefferson family through this trying time – T’s premature birth. It is truly and example of all things working together for good.

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge